Castro Urdiales is a fishing harbour and beach resort on the coast of Cantabria in northern Spain, with a population of 33,400 in 2025.
While most visitors head straight for the beach, a short stroll inland reveals Castro Urdiales’s quieter heart. The winding lanes of the old quarter, shaded by stone arches and peppered with pastel façades, lead to modest plazas where locals gather for late-afternoon coffee. Here the rhythm is dictated by the market’s Tuesday and Saturday fish stalls, where you can watch the day’s catch being sorted before it reaches the canning houses. Trail signs guide you up to the hilltop viewpoint of Monte Sagrado, where the town’s red rooftops spill into the Cantabrian Sea, offering a perspective that blends industrial heritage with natural sweep. This side‑step lets you experience the town’s everyday texture beyond the well‑trod boardwalk.
Castro Urdiales’s culinary calendar follows the tides as much as the calendar. In early autumn, the anchovy harvest peaks and local taverns serve freshly smoked sardines paired with a drizzle of locally produced olive oil, a combination that highlights the region’s subtle maritime terroir. Winter brings a quieter dock, yet the town’s bakeries roll out pan de ajo, a garlic‑infused loaf traditionally enjoyed with a spoonful of anchovy jam. Summer festivals showcase a lesser‑known dessert, the pastel de manteca, made with Cantabrian butter and a pinch of sea salt, echoing the town’s marine roots. Seeking these seasonal dishes connects you to the town’s rhythms far more intimately than any static menu.
Travelers tracing the Bay of Biscay’s coastline often overlook how Castro Urdiales bridges the bustling ports of Bilbao and Santander. Its modest size makes it an ideal midpoint, allowing a relaxed pace after the industrial intensity of the Basque region and before the rugged cliffs of the Cantabrian hinterland. A day‑trip train from Bilbao arrives in under an hour, and a short bus ride eastwards drops you at the fishing villages of Liendo and San Vicente de la Barquera, each offering contrasting seascapes. Positioning Castro Urdiales as a pause rather than a final stop enriches a broader itinerary, giving space to absorb the maritime culture that threads through northern Spain’s coastal towns.
Municipality in Cantabria, SpainCastro UrdialesMunicipalityView of Castro Urdiales from Mount Cueto FlagCoat of armsLocation of Castro Urdiales municipality in CantabriaCastro UrdialesLocation in SpainShow map of SpainCastro UrdialesCastro Urdiales (Cantabria)Show map of CantabriaCoordinates: 43°23′4″N 3°12′54″W / 43.38444°N 3.21500°W / 43.38444; -3.21500Country SpainAutonomous community CantabriaProvinceCantabriaComarcaEastern coast of CantabriaFoundedFlaviobriga 74 ADGovernment • AlcaldeSusana Herrán Martín (2019) (PSOE)Area • Total96.72 km2 (37.34 sq mi)Elevation19 m (62 ft)Population (2025-01-01) • Total33,450 • Density345.8/km2 (895.7/sq mi)DemonymCastreñosTime zoneUTC+1 (CET) • Summer (DST)UTC+2 (CEST)Postal code39700WebsiteOfficial website Castro Urdiales (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈkastɾowɾˈðjales]) is a seaport of northern Spain, in the autonomous community of Cantabria, situated on the Bay of Biscay. Castro Urdiales is a modern town, although its castle and the Gothic-style parish church of Santa María de la Asunción, date from the Middle Ages. Its chief industries are tourism, fishing, and oil-packing of fish, especially sardines and anchovies. The Lolin and La Castreña anchovy canning factories serve as a reminder of the town's closeness to this industry and its proximity to the sea. Although the number of people registered in the town is around 32,000, the summer population can double or even triple this figure. The town is popular because of its beaches and scenic harbor.
[edit] Figure of a young Neptune from Mount Cueto View of Brazomar beach. Castro Urdiales was originally called Portus Amanum, and was the chief city of the Autrigones. In AD 74 a Roman colony was established under the name Flaviobriga, during the reign of emperor Vespasian. It was most likely established to mine the abundant iron in the area. In 1163 the town of Castro Urdiales received its municipal charter. It lay at the western tip of the coastline of Navarre until 1200, when the kingdom was invaded by Alfonso VIII of Castile. Castro Urdiales benefited much from its location at a crossroads in the trade between northern Europe and Castile. It remained in Biscay until 1476 at least, but it is not cited in the seigneury's assemblies thereafter. Until the 18th century, the town recurrently attempted a reincorporation to Biscay (attested in 1799), but its attempts were met with the frontal refusal of Bilbao on account that it could tip the scale against its own trade balance. It was destroyed by the French in 1813, but was speedily rebuilt and fortified. Its rapid rise in population and prosperity dates from the increased development of iron mining and railway communication which took place after 1879.
[edit] The monument complex of Castro Urdiales, also known as Puebla Vieja, has medieval origins and is located near the sea. It was declared a Conjunto histórico in 1978. Santa María de la Asuncion Church, apse The Church of Santa María de la Asunción is in Gothic style. Built under the protection of King Alfonso VIII of Castile in the 13th century (though it was finished in the 15th century), it is a basilica church with three naves. In the interior are the images of the White Virgin and the Reclining Christ, and three Gothic carvings of the Magi. It was declared a National Monument in 1931. The Castle of Santa Ana is located near the port and the church of Santa María de la Asunción. In modern times it housed a lighthouse. Other sights include: Monument on the waterfront in Castro Urdiales Lighthouse, church and Santa Ana Palace, castle-observatory and Ocharan gardens, protected since 1985. The castle-observatory, dating back to 1914 and designed by local architect Eladio Laredo, is in neo-Gothic style. The Ocharan Palace, or Toki-Eder, was built in 1901, also by the local architect Eladio Laredo. It is an eclectic-style building, with a portico of columns and other elements of Greek taste, and with a multicolored tile frieze designed by Daniel Zuloaga. Ruins of the medieval tower of the Templars, in Allendelagua, on the mountain side. It belonged to the Knights Templars and is currently in poor condition. Cave of El Cuco, west of the town. It houses rock carvings and paintings from the Upper Paleolithic period, which depict animals such as deer, goats and horses. Cave of La Lastrilla Cave Grande or de los Corrales Cave Aurelia Castro of la Peña de Sámano Remains of Flavióbriga and the medieval village, protected since 1996. The Flavióbriga archaeological site is under the Old town, two meters deep. Remains of a Roman colony can be visited in the Regional Museum of Prehistory and Archaeology of Cantabria. Water driving of El Chorrillo, a work of hydraulic engineering from the Roman age. Tower-House of Los Otañes, in Otañes. Ruins of the Hospital de la Vera Cruz, in Islares. City Hall (16th century) Tower-House of Cerdigo, built in Cerdigo between the 17th and 18th centuries. Archaeological site of Patera de Otañes, in the village of Otañes. Roman mile-stone, opposite the Church of Santa María. Dating to 61 AD, it marked the distance to Pisoraca. It has an inscription that reads "Nero Claudius, son of the divine Claudius, Caesar, Augustus, Germanicus, Pontifex maximus, with the tribunician power for eighth time, the empire for ninth and the consulate for fourth. From Pisoraca one hundred and eighty miles". Remains of the Iglesia de San Pedro (11th century), in Romanesque style. A historic mineral loader, the Cargadero de Dícido
[edit] Aire-sur-l'Adour, France Bucraa, Western Sahara Miyek, Western Sahara Jerez de la Frontera, Spain